Below is a brief timeline history of the Sheridan County Public Library System:

  • 1883 – Reading room opened by John D. Loucks
  • 1886 – Wyoming Legislature authorizes the creation of County Library Systems
  • 1903 – Henry A. Coffeen donates over 4,000 books to the library creating a need for additional
  • space. Library was relocated to old YMCA building on North Main
  • 1905 – Andrew Carnegie provides $12,500 to build the Sheridan Library on the corner of Loucks
  • and Brooks Streets. Community members and the County also donated to the building
  • 1960 – Local bond issue to build a new library building fails
  • 1971 – Harry S. Fulmer donates $300,000 for a new library in memory of his wife Margaret S.
  • Fulmer. Building is completed in 1974.
  • 1975 – Upon the death of Harry S. Fulmer, a permanent endowment is established for the
  • benefit of the library
  • 1986 – Expansion of the library was undertaken to increase the foot print to 30,000 square feet.
  • 1995 – Wyoming Room was expanded adding another 3,400 square feet
  • 2007 – Remodel of the current building with the addition of a maintenance building